Securing the home is always the top priority for every homeowner. Nobody wants burglars to break-in easily and take everything inside the home. Most of the time, the main doors are the ones that are secured first.
The garage is usually the last part of the home that pops up when it comes to security. However, the garage is also an essential bit to every home. When this is forgotten, this can be the weak spot that will allow burglars to get access to your home.
Here are the seven reasons to convince you why you must improve your garage security:
· It is an access to the main home. Although securing the main door and the back door is essential in protecting your family and valuables from burglars, you might forget that the garage also provides an easy access to your home. This is true for those who have an attached garage. There is usually a connecting door from the garage to the main house or kitchen. If you are not adding any form of security to your garage, this might be a way for them to get inside your home without a sweat. So always consider all points of entry in your home, especially your garage.
· It has valuable items.The garage is where the family’s cars are usually stored. In addition to that, other tools and seasonal items are also stored in the garage. When the garage is left unsecured, a potential burglar can definitely get his hands on quite valuable items. An unsecured garage would be a gold mine to any burglar. It contains most of the valuable items in the homes like power tools, lawnmowers, and others. These are very resalable items and cost a lot of money. Ensure that you protect your valuable possessions by adding an extra layer of security.
· It is a vulnerable spot. The garage is usually the odd part of the house. Although it may be attached to the main house, it is not a living space. This makes it vulnerable to burglary. The windows are not usually covered and secured. This can be used to break in. This makes it even more important to add security features to your garage.
· You have no idea what’s going on. This is especially true if you have a detached garage that is at the back or in front of your home. It is difficult for you to hear or know what’s going on at the back. If this is the case, it is imperative to make your garage even more secure. You can opt to add extra security features like cameras and mobile controls so you can have access to your garage anytime, anywhere. Just ensure that these security features are compatible with the current garage door opener that you have.
· You may forget to close or lock it. This is usual morning scenario. You are running late from work, you open your garage door and drive out of the house without checking if you have locked it. An open garage door is a gateway to endless of possibilities for the burglar. This can be prevented by adding timer-to-lock security feature to your garage door opener so you don’t have to panic and drive back to your home when this happens.
· Power tools can be used for breaking-in. The garage usually houses power tools. If these lands in the wrong hands, this can be used to damage property and even hurt people. Keep these tools away from the wrong hands by making your garage safe and secure.
· It is always unoccupied.Unless you have converted a part of your garage to a living space, it is almost always unoccupied. This increases the risks of burglary since it can be easy for them to get in and out without any presence in the garage. By adding extra security features, you are already making sure that you have presence and control in your garage even if you are away.